- You've never ridden a mountain bike before.
- You have limited experience with off-road mountain biking (less than 1 year)
- You may have done some road riding
- You are reasonably fit and adventurous.
Level 3/Strong Beginner
- You've been mountain biking for 1 year or so
- You're hooked but still lack the skills to tackle terrain beyond beginner level
- You know how to use your gears and brakes properly but when the terrain gets technical you have to get off your bike and walk
- You can handle singletrack as long as it is smooth and with few rocks or roots.
- You've been mountain biking for at least 1 year or have decent general riding skills and good fitness
- You're capable of controlling bike speed and direction on moderate single-track
- You ride at least 2-3 times/month during riding season.
Level 5/Strong Intermediate
- You've been mountain biking for about 2 years, and have solid intermediate skills
- You can handle undulating terrain, have good control of your brakes and know how to shift gears appropriately so that you don't get off your bike too often
- You can handle terrain that is slightly technical, with smaller rocks and roots and can climb on single-track as long as it is not technical.
Level 6/Intermediate Advanced
- You've been riding for at least 2 years and are confident in your climbing and descending skills.
- You can handle moderately technical terrain and obstacles such as small logs (up to 6" high) and rocks.
- You have very good control of your bike on intermediate and slightly more advanced terrain, and are comfortable climbing non-technical singletrack.
- You've been mountain biking for at least 3-4 years and are very confident in all aspects of mountain biking
- You can handle most technical terrain, include rocky and root trails, along with features such as switchbacks, medium logs (6-8" high), and low-level obstacles such as bridges
- You're comfortable with most advanced level trails (although you may walk a few sections).
- You have been mountain biking for over 5 years and are confident riding all types of terrain and distances.
- You ride as often as possible and can handle technical terrain and medium-level stunts, such as large log rollovers (over 1 ft high) and small bridges.
- You can descend steeps, climb technical singletrack
- You rarely - if ever - get off your bike to walk sections except on extremely technical terrain
- You are a mountain bike god/goddess. You can handle the most technical terrain imaginable, eat up steeps for breakfast and can ride stunts up to 8 feet high.